Monday 2 June 2014

Flintoff's bizarre T20 contract

Allrounder set to cash in on crowd figures

Andrew Flintoff has been given extra incentive to put on a show in his return to competitive cricket with reports surfacing the former England allrounder will receive a percentage of gate receipts from Lancashire Lightning Twenty20 home matches he plays in.

While exact figures are unknown, it is understood that Flintoff will receive £1 for every spectator over and above an agreed upon attendance – on top of a contract that already includes appearance fees and performance bonuses.

Flintoff’s signing with the England domestic T20 competition side comes almost five years since playing his last Test match against Australia at The Oval, a match England won by 197 runs.

This weekend will see Lancashire take on Aaron Finch’s Yorkshire Vikings in a match that drew 12,000 people to the same fixture last year. With England’s Jos Buttler also likely to return, the match could prove a handy windfall for the big allrounder if he is selected.

Despite the buzz surrounding Flintoff’s return, he is no certainty to line up for the Lightning, a second XI match later this week likely to play a large role in deciding his selection.

“I’d be lying to you if I said I didn’t think about playing against Yorkshire,” Flintoff told the UK’s Daily Mail.

“It will be a full house, however, Friday is a long way away; it really is.

“If I get a go, I get a go, but I’m not by any means expecting to play.

“On Thursday I’ve got a game with the Lancashire second team, which I’m just going to go out there and enjoy.

“I’m not going to put any undue pressure on myself thinking that this is a trial for Friday or anything like that.

“I’m just going to play — and if I get picked, I get picked.”

Flintoff made his return to competitive cricket over the weekend, suiting up for his childhood club side St Annes and picking up 3-26, including a sharp reflex catch off his own bowling.

CA

No comments:

Post a Comment