Thursday 5 June 2014

Maxwell credits county with success

Allrounder keen to repay Hampshire for start

Allrounder Glenn Maxwell has credited his stint at Hampshire in 2012 as the catalyst for his rise into Australia’s national ranks ahead of his return to the club for the 2014 County season.

When Maxwell arrived on the English south coast two years ago, he was a 23-year-old with prodigious talent but no real direction to his cricket career.

Now the big-hitting right-hander is the reigning Indian Premier League MVP and a staple in Australia’s limited-overs sides.

"It's been a pretty incredible two years," Maxwell told BBC Radio Solent.

"When I first arrived at Hampshire my career was in limbo.

“I wasn't in great nick with my domestic cricket but my first stint with Hampshire probably turned my career around, which is amazing, and it eventually got me playing for Australia.

"The only reason I got picked was because of my County form here and the opportunity Hampshire gave me when no other team would. It was nice they took me on.

“I owe Hampshire a lot and hopefully I can repay them this summer.”

Despite dominating the shortest format in recent times, Maxwell’s eyes are set firmly on adding to his two Test matches, with the departure of South African Kyle Abbott in July offering him the perfect opportunity to hone his first-class skills in English conditions.

"Cricket Australia are massively keen for me to keep pushing for that Test spot as an allrounder," he said.

"The more red-ball cricket I play, the better the chance, and hopefully Hampshire can give me that opportunity."

Former Australia allrounder Andrew Symonds, a man whose career followed a similar trajectory to the start of Maxwell’s, backed the Victorian’s bid to make his mark in the Baggy Green.

“You’ve got to find a way to make your way into each side, whether that’s through short-form cricket as I did, and if Glenn can do the same thing then it will be ideal for him,” Symonds told former Australia paceman Rodney Hogg on Melbourne radio station SEN in April.

“He’s had big raps and hopefully we’re now starting to see him get to the point where he can show people what he can actually do.”

Maxwell will also play for the County in England’s domestic T20 competition and expects to line up against Saeed Ajmal and the Worcestershire Rapids in the next round of action.

The encounter will give the Australian an early sneak peek at the spinner ahead of Australia’s series against Pakistan in the UAE later this year.

CA

No comments:

Post a Comment