Saturday 31 May 2014

Flintoff confirms comeback in T20 Blast

It’s official, Andrew Flintoff is making his comeback to cricket.

Four years after his retirement from all forms of cricket, and after much speculation, the former England captain today announced he will join Lancashire Lightning for the inaugural season of the T20 Blast, England’s domestic T20 competition.

Lancashire currently sit on top of the North Group with three wins from four matches, and the two-time Ashes winner believes he has done the work to make a meaningful contribution.

“I'm really honoured to be part of Lancashire once again. It is something that I never thought would happen but after training with the squad over the last few months I am really happy that they have invited me to play,” said Flintoff.

“I have worked really hard to get back to my fittest and I hope that we have a successful summer. I'm just glad that I can be part of it.”

The announcement adds further fuel to the rumours that Flintoff will be making an appearance in the fourth edition of the KFC T20 Big Bash League this summer.

Brisbane Heat have been keeping a particularly close eye on the allrounder, with coach Stuart Law being a former team-mate of Flintoff’s for a number of years at Lancashire.

“Freddie turned himself into a professional heavyweight boxer when he was forced to retire with injury at a relatively young age, and won his only bout, so you don’t doubt his commitment to a cause if he puts his mind to it.

“And if he does get on the field, I am sure there will be a bit of the old magic there. I’ll be watching with plenty of interest.”

Source - Cricket Australia

No comments:

Post a Comment